Just blow it out right? This blog post may seem a bit pointless, but in fact it’s quite an important topic. Lets face it, we are all guilty of blowing out the candles when we are running out the door or heading off to bed.
However, in our opinion the best way to extinguish your candle is to use a snuffer. Blowing out a flame as if you would on a birthday cake causes an enormous amount of smoke which is often quite unpleasant and over-rides the beautiful fragrance that your candle has left in the room.
The other problem can be that when you blow out the candle, the wick can be pushed down into the wax which then causes issues when trying to re-light your candle the next time you want to burn it plus it can create soot to build up within the container.
There are two ways we would recommend to extinguish your flame. Using a snuffer. To use a snuffer, you simply place the bell over the flame and wait until it goes out. You will know the flame is out when you see a small wisp of smoke emerge from the bell, signifying that the flame is out. Be careful not to submerge the bell into the wax.
The second method is to use the tweezers. By dipping the tweezer down into the wax just beneath the surface and then gently drawing them up and pinching the wick until the flame goes out. You must be careful not to pull the wick out of the candle though.
Once the flame is out, it is a good ides to check that the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room. Do not touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
Don’t forget to read our blog on preparing your candle before relighting. Our tips will ensure you get the best out of your candle every time you burn it.